This page has been translated from Italian
April

Garmin Forerunner 305, road test

| 30 commenti | TrackBack | | | 30 comments | TrackBack |
una stelladue stelletre stellequattro stellecinque stelle (2 votes, average: 4.50)
Loading ... Loading ...

How did I run with no date?

Here, with this sentence, the review of the Garmin Forerunner 305 could also be considered closed. But since it is not nice to be superficial, then maybe you should add some other bit of information about

Presentation.

Forerunner 305-S.jpg

The Garmin Forerunner 305, which you see on the left is a watch with an integrated GPS receiver and a heart rate monitor with the help of a band to be applied on the chest.

With this standard equipment the FR305 lets you record, moment by moment, position, speed, heart rate and other 39 parameters of instantaneous values, peak values and values medii.

The FR305 is therefore an ideal tool for runners, makes trekking, cycling and any other kind of sport where they can be useful to detect these values and then analyze it later to see your physical state and its growth racing.

In fact, once they arrive home, you can download, via USB, the data collected and analyzed with the management software included, called Garmin Training Center, and / or exports in XML format proprietary to Garmin's called. Tcx readable by others software such as, for example, the SportTracks or directly on the 'special site of Garmin.

Use as a heart rate

Obviously the tool is also suitable in situations where you use only part of the recorded parameters.

And 'the case, for example, a lesson in spinning, where obviously the parameters measured by GPS are not significant but are instead those of the heart rate monitor.

One below, for example, is the graph of one of my spinning classes with the legendary Annalisa, our instructor at the gym Fashion Pescara

cardio_spinning_grapg.png

As you see, unlike other heart rate monitors, the FR305 is not only recalls the peak value and the average activity but remember every single sample run. This allows you to view highlights of the post and understand exactly how long you have worked in strip aerobics, as in the anaerobic zone and how much in assets not relevant to the loss of fat or to strengthen the heart muscle.

In the chart above, obtained directly into the Garmin Training Center, one notes, for example, the initial warm-up, the slow rise and peak during the intermediate phase (in this case objectively, a bit 'too high) in stage work culminating in rapid jump four times and moments of jump in third position. Note finally the final final cool down.

Using GPS + Cardio

Obviously the above example is a use "crippled" the instrument that gives the maximum of himself in business "road" such as, for example, jogging.

First we must say that the Garmin Forerunner 305, contrary to what the appearance would suggest, is, to the wrist, very light, and during the race, you forget almost immediately, but only as a burden because of the stimulus go read what you are running, what is your heartbeat, what is the slope of the road, is practically a requirement constant.

To give a concrete example of what you can pull out dall'FR305, I present my performance yesterday, which, although subdued due to accumulated fatigue from the day before spinning classes, however, was necessary because he was no longer in skin waiting to test the FR305 on the road.

We shall therefore analyze, thanks to Garmin FR305, the journey completed.

Obviously, with the help of Garmin Training Center or better still, by the site of Garmin Connect or through additional software such as SportTracks, you can view the exact location on Google Maps or export run, enjoying in the SportTracks example, the path Google Earth.

Hills Controguerra 03-04-2009.png

To make us more aware of the effort that is useful to analyze the altitude of this trip always supplied by our trusty tool

As you can see, the path starts from the consortium of Controguerra, grab some up and down, alternating with flat sections in the district cemetery, and in the San Giuseppe and, hence, the road slopes down to Nereto. In the district head of the Valley gets about-face and then retracing the entire section to the contrary.

The graph shows the step taken, apart from local variations, a physical fatigue as evidenced by a good pace early, a substantial slowdown in the entire central phase and a recovery in the final stretch

which is also reflected in patterns of heart rate overall, which is around 165 bpm for the first 35 minutes and around 170 in the remaining stretch of the race.

The only thing to observe, at least personally, is the climb (too) at the beginning of sudden heart, Battice that, even after 20 seconds of activity on my certificate was 70%.

For those who are curious can see the general data of my race at Garmin Connect.

General Product Information

As you can see are lots of things you can do with the FR305 and many are still awaiting discovery, for example, the adversary virtual meters in the next race and which will give you news.

Finally some general information on the Garmin Forerunner 305. The apparatus has a cost not insignificant, I have paid on eBay from a seller of real Italian to 235 euros. The machinery has arrived exactly 23 hours after I click on the Paypal payment.

scatola_garmin_forerunner305.jpg

The box includes the watch itself, the band and the recording of heart Sensole the housing for recharging the watch and connect via USB to your computer with included USB cable, power supply 220V to recharge the watch power supply instead of USB, the adjustments made for the Italian and American, an extension of Centurini for those with extra-large wrist and the tool to extract the Centurini, the CD of the manual in Italian and CD Garmin Training Center even though it is best to download a version online because it is not exactly recent. Rounding off the printed manual in English.

What about the GPS, on some forums it is stated that one of the small flaws of this instrument was that take too long to lock on satellites. That may be true but I have turned into the house as I prepared to leave after a few minutes I realized that even though I was inside the house, had already engaged a bit 'of satellites for which, when released, the FR305 was already GPS at full power with 9 / 10 active satellites and then I do not believe that, at least personally, this is a problem.

What about the visibility of the information given by the tool: perfect. The instrument has split screen for up to 4 shares remaining leggibilissibe, also 3 different views, 2 standard and third customizable sport, it is ultimately possible, by alternating the display automatically have under eye while fewer than 12 parameters between 39 available. If this is not enough, then I do not know what to do

Comparison with
Garmin Forerunner 405

Some might wonder why I chose to take the model 305 (right) when it is being rolled out on 405 (left) who has the size much smaller.

405vs305.jpg

My decision was dictated by the following considerations

• The 405 has the size smaller and this for me is a disadvantage because instead of four simultaneous display has only three, and even so, the text is still smaller because of the lack of available space
  • The buttons 305 are more precise, during the run, than trying to navigate through menus using the touch grill
  • The fact is that the 405 Wifi and then you can download data wirelessly to the PC it gives me a disadvantage because it forces me to switch my access point but I must be near the computer to download data is just as well use the USB cable , 305
  • Apparently the GPS satellites of 405 snaps, all'accensionde clock long before the 305 but, as mentioned above, this does not seem a big problem
  • Apparently some features are missing in 405. There is talk of firmware updates that will add the missing functionality but the fact is that for now there are.
  • Aesthetically, the 305 is much more appealing precisely because of his "gaudy", for the bright red chest and the word GARMIN prominent is understood immediately that this is not a simple clock

CONCLUSION

For now, I can only say a world of good to this tool that I hope will accompany me for many upcoming races, sessions, spinning and hiking in the mountains.

I will keep you informed of any new thing I'm going to discover.

This article has been viewed 3749 time

30 Responses to "Garmin Forerunner 305, test drive"

• gravy writes

The next time you run up to Accattapane? PLEASE : D

• Emiliano Bruni writes:

The next time you come on I'll take you on tour of Accattapane :-D

• Loris writes

hello,
    I am a happy and enthusiastic new owner of this instrument, but I really wanted a clarification because I do not understand how to copy the racing done on an external hard drive. what happens is that once transferred the files I can not open it!
    Thanks for any info.
    Loris

• Emiliano Bruni writes:

Hello. Tell me what you're looking to do well because I did not quite understand what your problem.

• Claudio writes

Hi all, I can not leave comments but only a desperate call for help on how I can solve my problem, I own a Forerunner 305 to your PC installed everything on the CD supplied with the package, I can not connect to pc and cardiofrequenzimero, how can I do ?

• Alexander writes:

Hello!
    you tell me if this 305 is also calculating the number of calories consumed?
    thanks
    To

• Emiliano Bruni writes:

Sure there is. Only it's based on the weight, speed and distance so, for example, in the activity of spinning, where you do not move as location, calorie counting is not done. Everything is OK, of course, for the regular road race.

• Renata writes

Hello, I have the Forerunnr 305. Someone tell me if there's a way to see the heartbeat written a bit more big??!

• Mirko writes

Based on this very road test and on information found online, I bought the 305. While the few tests I did confirm what Emiliano has indicated in his fine discussion and recommend it myself.
    (curiosity, anyone has the Footpod?)

• Mirko writes

Imposed one of the views (I use the "root 2") at 2 frames one of them to associate with the FC ...

• Stephen writes:

Hello, I am considering the purchase of cardio and are undecided whether to a traditional Polar FT60 or FT80, or for the Garmin FR305 that I have known a few hours ago by a dealer.
    From what I've read the Garmin a lot and I think I was excited to move towards the latter, but everything just works so well?

Flavio1966 Reply:

Hello Stephen, by now you've probably already made your decision ...
    I, like others here, are posessore enthusiastic about a month of 305.
    Reviews only "negative" found on the web about fundamental

1. rechargeable battery but can not be replaced (at the end of charge cycle) if not from assistance GARMIN (under warranty the first two years, paid after the warranty, also confirmed in writing by the servicing Garmin contacted before purchase , they say, the warranty expired as an alternative to replacing the battery could provide the replacement of cardio-price "in favor")

2. kept low to water and humidity, some forums advise against using it completely in water (not even sweet) and even use an insulator because the sweat prevents damage (tennis wristband, scotch closure of cracks or other solutions ...)

I do not have (fortunately) had the opportunity to evaluate these two "flaws", the rest seems like a great product (Polar, Suunto and other cardio often include GPS as an accessory "outside" - and paid-that is, GPS sensor fix the arm, making it impractical or at least "bulky")

Today we are in the network (Italy, not U.S. imports) on 160/170 €, in $ less, but with the drawbacks of import (until recently, was the most convenient INGROSPORT.it but are looking for certainly viable alternatives ..)
    a greeting to all

• Emiliano Bruni writes:

The answer is short but summarizes it all: YES :-D

• DM writes

the review and refer to the Garmin website reported distances are in miles and feet. I can confirm that it is possible to visualize with our unit (km, m)? thanks

Emiliano Bruni Reply:

Yes Simply register on the site Garmin Connect and at that point, in your profile, set the metric. Those Anglo-Saxons are, for an absurd choice, the default for unregistered users.

• DM writes

But I can also set the metric system clock and not only to see the work? Be patient but will agree and that 'an important aspect. Hello and thanks x the prompt response above.

Emiliano Bruni Reply:

Obviously, the clock provides the setting of the metric system, which in this case is the default setting for the watches sold in Italy.

• Mark writes

hello, I'm also considering buying the FR305 to this link, hoping it all gets sent running!
    (it's true, ends in 2 days, but I trust reintegration ad)

I would have 3 questions for those of you already owns it and has been able to test:
    1 - The coupling with the satellites is actually stable even if it passes through sparse vegetation (to mean a forest not too thick or buildings within the 8 floors)?
    2 - How do you evaluate the problematic water / moisture? because I suffer from sweating it would be desirable it can be pretty intense "flush" after the workout.
    3 - Analysis of the data can be done in full via the supplied software (or download the updated version) without having to use the site Gramine Connect?
    4 - Curiosity: how to evaluate the problem can not easily replace the battery to Li?

I thank all those who respond, especially if they choose to do individual responses.

Finally, I congratulate Emiliano for creating site, blog to the timeliness of intervention and analysis and, of course, for his workouts.

Thank you.
    Marco.

Emiliano Bruni Reply:

Meanwhile, I say.

1) Yes, stable. Absolutely NEVER EVER had a problem of loss of the satellite once hooked (except in tunnels :-D )

2) Dunno, I were there to sweat and run quietly in the rain. For now, I was lucky but has not yet happened.

3) Yes, if you want more information you can still complete the analysis by downloading and using software freeware SportTracks

4) For now, completely ignored :-D

Emiliano Bruni Reply:

Meanwhile, I say.

1) Absolutely never had any problem in the city and / or woods. Once the satellites are no longer hooked lost (unless you enter a tunnel, :-D )

2) I too sweat and I've had some races under rain and floods but the Garmin has never happened (for now) nothing. I'll be lucky?

3) Yes and if you really want more views and information you can always download the excellent free program analysis SportTracks

4) For now I have blissfully ignored :-D

Thanks for the compliments always welcome!

• Mark writes

Perfect answer, thanks!
    Ok, now I'm totally routed to the purchase. ... I'm just sorry that the tone of alarm you want to fix (at Cadio, distance or time) are just acoustic and vibration is provided, since I am music lover for me a problem, especially by bike ... sure to spend ~ 100 dollars more for the vibration and the calculation of calories based on heart rate (F310XT) I do not think appears appropraite ... .. but could not think about it before (even vibration for 305)?!? !??!?!!!!!

Thank you, very useful!
    Regards.
    Marco.

Emiliano Bruni Reply:

But, look, I do not use the tone of alarm because it does not interest me. But I'm running with headphones and I must say that the few times that the 305 beep, like during a lap, I must say that I feel the same. Of course, it depends on the volume with which one listens :-D

• Crespo writes

Hello, meanwhile congratulations for the site.
    I bought 3 days ago Really 305 and are enthusiastic, but there's one thing I can not understand, I hope someone can answer.
    Yesterday I ran 16 kilometers AutoLap setting the exact distance of 1 km, and he regularly reset every km tour.
    I might say why, making the rounds of one km, average lap and average pitch do not match?
    I get around the average of 5 'and 13' and I is the average pitch of 4 'and 54 "at km ..

• Paul writes

I join the chorus of congratulations for just this very interesting test. I am looking for a card from use by mountain bike, as you see the 305 in that use? Has the ability to count the total route km in the season? Thank you for your attention!

• Mark writes

The clock load it before every workout or just after you download it completely?
    This question I can because with rechargeable devices (cell phones, cameras, i-pod ...) I never know how to behave ...
    Thank you.
    Hello.

Emiliano Bruni Reply:

Every time I do a workout I connect to the computer's USB port to download data and leave it connected until it tells me "Charging Complete" and then reloading it every time without any problems or concerns.

• Mark writes

Thank you again.
    Anyway I thought that:
    - Vibration
    - The complete resistance to water
    - Better snapping satellites HotFix
    - The better synchronization with the band on cardio and calculating calories burned
    - Improved battery life up to 20 hours
    - The more compact

Convince me to prefer the 310XT that for now, with bands cardio, costs 400 euros (~ 350euro on sites not Garmin) but, not having immediate need, I can wait until 2010 for the purchase, hoping to find it on eBay for less than $ 300 .

I will end the inconvenience caused during this month.

I hope you agree with my choice.
    Thanks again.

Hello.
    Marco.

Emiliano Bruni Reply:

Well, yes. Is obviously a step above the 305.

• Giancarlo Baccolini writes:

I can not understand why I have not heard anything. Definitely my fault. Regards Giancarlo Baccolini

Emiliano Bruni Reply: